Cagibi accepts submissions year round for seasonal digital issues. Each issue features original prose and poetry, most of which have been selected from unsolicited submissions.
OUR NEXT EDITOR’S DEADLINE: FEBRUARY 20
We are open year-round, with rolling deadlines to facilitate our editorial workflow. We are now reading especially for Issue 6, mid-April — though regardless of when received, submissions are considered for all upcoming Cagibi issues, which are published quarterly.
- The editors welcome short stories, flash fiction or short-shorts, and lengthier stories. There is no word count limit; use your best judgment.
- We also publish novel excerpts. Novel excerpts should be complete and self-contained; they should not require any written contextualization. Please do not send us your novel and ask that we select an excerpt.
- Aesthetically, we are open to most styles and approaches and are always interested in stories, whether more traditional or experimental, that are off-beat, penetrating, and surprising.
- If flash fiction or short-shorts, you may submit up to 3 pieces at once, depending on the length; use your best judgment. Place all your work in one document.
- We welcome works in translation. Also, we welcome submissions from outside the United States.
- Experimental fiction is welcome. We do not publish genre fiction such as mystery, crime, science fiction, fantasy, romance.
- A graphic / illustrated narrative work is welcome.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted as long as you immediately withdraw your submission within Submittable should your piece be accepted elsewhere.
- Previously unpublished work only. Cagibi does not consider work that has previously appeared in print or online.
- TO WITHDRAW, IN WHOLE OR IN PART: For help on how to withdraw a partial of your submission, or the whole submission, see our Submission Guidelines page.
We look forward to reading your work!